Outside the Lens
Outside the Lens™ (OTL) is a San Diego-based youth media literacy program dedicated to celebrating the vision and voices of children around the world and across cultures. Students (K-12) tell their unique personal stories using photography, writing and other digital media forms while under the guidance of writers, poets, journalists, photographers, filmmakers, artists, and teachers. Since January 2001, OTL has delivered its innovative and adaptable curriculum to more than 10,000 children in a variety of educational settings including weekly classes within county schools, after-school programs, summer sessions and workshops.
OTL’s mission is to engage, educate and empower youth on issues affecting the world today through photography and multi-media projects.
Youth Advocacy · Civic Engagement · Literacy · Community Empowerment ·Environmental Awareness · Self-Esteem · Global Citizenship · Internships
Outside the Lens High School Youth Council joins youth from over 15 local High Schools to learn leadership skills, enhance their photography and photojournalism, participate in community service events and really make a difference!
Youth Council has monthly meetings that are supervised by an Outside the Lens staff and participate in events, photoshoots and OTL parties.
Our Programs Focus on Five Central Themes:
- The Self and Identity: “Pieces of Me.” This project explores themes of self-identity through visual literacy, photography and free form writing.
- The Individual within Society: “I Am Here.” This project examines the individual within society using media literacy, photography, poetry, and the spoken word.
- The Community and Family: “You Are Here.” This project investigates the community by compiling research and personal stories into a video documentary.
- The Environment: “Picture My Planet.” In this project, students advocate for environmental sustainability using photography and writing.
- World Cultures and Perspectives: “Picture Me, Picture You.” This cross-cultural photo/video exchange links students from different cultures to promote global understanding.
Our Youth Engagement Initiatives:
- Literacy Initiative: Achieve and develop written, oral and visual literacy skills.
- Technology Initiative: Support and facilitate science and emerging technology education.
- Healthy Communities Initiative: Advocate for a healthy community and healthy living.
- Environmental Sustainability Initiative: Encourages students to understand global and local environmental issues.
- Global Perspective Initiative: Increase understanding of the interconnectedness of the global community.
OUTSIDE THE LENS SUMMER CAMPS: www.outsidethelens-summercamps.blogspot.com